World has gone bonkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World has gone bonkers

So changed energy suppliers as you do, you must get a smart meter they say.

Smart meter man comes, reports meter location

So SGN decides to get heavy and demand the meter moved as my meter was inside on left hand side of garage wall.

Aparantly the world was coming to an end even although its was there before I bought the house nearly 30 years ago !

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200926_213530.jpg
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	10342

So the fellas come, start at 8 in morning and finish eventually at just past 10pm

I had to strip all the boxed in bits and benches out, shelves the lot.

I guess everyone can appreciate how years of filing stuff in every corner possible can lead to a 1/2 day of just moving crap around

Now I still have the meter inside but the pipe enters an outside wall, which apprantly was the crime for which the death penalty can apply

Its the tiny uprotected fleck on right hand corner of wall.

World is bonkers if thats any safer than it was in its cosy box.

So time to rebuild the benches and take the oppertunity to make it a little better than it was by framing up the rear wall and adding a sheet of MDF for backing.

Still to finish up but getting there !

Name:	20200926_213533.jpg
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	10343

Another days work tomorrow should see it done and another day lost when i could have been doing something useful

/ John

You should have the gas board round
    1 man to dig up garden
    1man to lay pipe
    1man tofeed into house
    1man to connect inside
    ​​​​
    And lastly 2weeks later
    1man to fill in garden
    No wonder it cost £700 quid?

Comment

In the old Monty P northern voice "you were lucky" we used to live in paper bag in sceptic tank!!!!

Looks good though John
      Can't honestly see the sense in smart meters for all , we use electricity sensibly and can afford to pay for what we use , but they keep trying to force us to have one
      P--- off , fit one when we move out of here .

Bob

Comment

Gary Whitaker

hehe, Had 2 men for the hole, one man to deliver and collect barriers, they had to video and picture the site before starting, upload images and so on and a mandatory visit by their supervisors at lunchtime.

Must admit the exterior guys were fantastic, would never know they had been there

Inside guy was only asked to do the job (as job could only be entered once first work order was done) about 3 in afternoon, so he never arrived until 8, he had started at 8 in morning

Pipework was really good, bends where lazy buggers would use a joint and so on, was a pleasure to watch.

Not so much of a pleasure losing the back legs of the benches, they were fre standing but I hat to batton the back wall for rear support as the legs would hit the new pipework and meter location.

Bill has never been mentioned, no quotes, SSE who fitted the meter reported the location as "inside" and then SGN took over and just moved it. We will see. I certainly never authorised any work and last meter I had fitted they stopped at the meter, I had to have everything else done inside myself as they would not take reponsibility for it.

/ John

Comment

Petowner

My meters are both inside (still are !!!) , was always a pain for teh fellas to come in and read, no meter readers out and about now with Covid and I got fed up doing their job for them for free by sending in meter readings myself so after kicking and screaming I have been dragged into this connected meter gig.

The smart side of things is a waste of time, my display has already lost connection and just says connecting to meter, move it closer.

Apprantly notorious for this fault I have been told if I report the communications fault they will come out and replace all the meters again as they cant "fix" this fault, they just fit a new "set" from stores instead.

Unbelievable.

I am off to requisition some more MDF and framing and finish it off so I can get back to some kind of normality.

Then I need to find my small tub of shims and help out Paul reshim the 107 head, we are down to some seriosuly small shims, 50 thou and below.

Not sure what the deal is here as I have never had to go that low but thats two 107 heads now needing shimmed.

Pauls own 107 head which is well ported with 1.4 valves actually had to get the hats decked and shims made.

Never beed sure if these first evolution of sport heads had a specific cam carrier, collets/spring tops or complete cam assembly. Odd though but at least a decent puzzle for later

/ John

Comment

Not up to Andy G standard Uncle Henry but had a go at some joinery bits to protect the meter a little or at least stop crap being tossed under bench and hitting it.

Turned out OK, some 10mm ply and a few battons, comes out in two minutes, can still see meter and have a hole to turn gass off if needed.

Was going to paint it but stuff that, already lost the weekend

And yes Dave Dave Lane the mesh is indeed stainless as it is same material I used for the rear rad cowl and the front aux rad cover, knew if I kept it, would be useful eventually !

Thanks Guest for the mesh !

Name:	20200927_155114.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	10368Click image for larger version

Name:	20200927_155110.jpg
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	10369

Name:	20200927_151613.jpg
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	10370Click image for larger version

Name:	20200927_151542.jpg
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	10371

Name:	20200927_155107.jpg
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	10372Click image for larger version

Name:	20200927_151550.jpg
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	10373
            / John

Comment

Ahe well, helen said it looks like a rabbit hutch

Never occurred to me,

Reminds me of a video from my mate Paul at the local Honda garage.

There is noises under my car, the old women said

Fellas took test drive and heard nothing

There be rabbits the woman said

Cant be the fellas said

There be rabbits ! woman was very firm

Fellas put it up ramp

See below ! go for it Honda Stirling

/ John

Comment

Few years ago with my sister was buying a house it was supposedly all been rewired and she asked my dad to have a look. On arrival my dad asked the seller if you could look at the fuse box he took one look and said this hasn't been rewired, the seller replied how would you know.my dad just smiled and said I'm the installation inspector for the Yorkshire electricity board.
                We still laugh about it years later

Comment

You should have tok my advice and told them politely to bog off.

Patrick McGrorty

100% MK 1 just as rootes intended it, no mods, no problem

Comment

Originally posted by PMCG View Post
                    You should have tok my advice and told them politely to bog off.
                    Not one for picking a fight these days, too much stress, sometimes it just needs to be a whatever dude
                    / John

Comment

My supplier, SSE, keep nagging me to have a smart meter installed. They try to say it's for my benefit, but I reckon it's to save them on meter reader costs.
                      But every time I say fine, go ahead, they tell me I can't have one as I am on an economy 7 tarrif with cheaper electricity at night.
                      Like they don't know this???

Comment

The thing is if the meters really were "Smart" they would connect you to the cheapest supplier and on the cheapest tarrif.

they don't so they really are not that smart. ;)
                        Patrick McGrorty

100% MK 1 just as rootes intended it, no mods, no problem

Comment

Originally posted by PMCG View Post
                          The thing is if the meters really were "Smart" they would connect you to the cheapest supplier and on the cheapest tarrif.

they don't so they really are not that smart. ;)
                          / John

Comment

Originally posted by GIllian Hill View Post
                            My supplier, SSE, keep nagging me to have a smart meter installed. They try to say it's for my benefit, but I reckon it's to save them on meter reader costs.
                            But every time I say fine, go ahead, they tell me I can't have one as I am on an economy 7 tarrif with cheaper electricity at night.
                            Like they don't know this???
                            Gill, this indeed was SSE !

Meter I had put in down road I out in with OVO (aka SSE now) and they actually paid me to fit the smart meter, they also pay interest on any credit acrued from the monthly DDs.

Cant complain about the fellas fitting them really, both great, on second house fella was ex nay and likes his "later classics" and was sprucing up his Granada estate, a rare beast.

Nice to hear from you !

John

/ John

Comment

Working...
                            X