The journey begins a hillman imp set off to travel from Glasgow to Monaco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The journey begins a hillman imp set off to travel from Glasgow to Monaco

Less than a few days now and with only about 5 days prep time on the car it has been complete madness getting things ready.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240119_142750.jpg
Size:	516.0 KB
ID:	23351

We bought this car last year and never really paid attention too much as it was running and driving however has a serious fluid loss problem, the drip tray above was well used !

So out with engine and tear down/rebuild and seal up all the usual spill spots, spotted quite a few things on the way, loctab washer not bent and this little beggar flipped over.

Name:	20240124_174349.jpg
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	23352

Was that the end of it no, bad seals on oil drain, filter block, hoses not fixed to unions for the cooler, sump plug washer was done, cam box leaking like a sieve.... and oil down back of flywheel (bolts)

All that done, time to look at the transaxle which was losing fluid all over

primary shaft seal, easy fix

Drive shaft seals were actually new, they had been hammered in so far though they were not wrapped around the shaft and almost on the bearing

Name:	20240124_203643.jpg
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	23353

Name:	20240124_203640.jpg
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	23354

I had 2 seals lef, that was it, we magaed it !

Next was the gear change leks, again really bad and I had no time to get seals sorted plus very rarely do the o rings work properly, so I made a bodgery. I polished up the shaft and added 2 o rings concentric style and some flamnge sealant (the light oil on gear change shaft so wont stick) and then added the dust cover, left tie wrapped up for the selant to set and bodgery is done.

Then add new Radtec radiator (thanks for the great service Radtec )

Name:	20240124_202113.jpg
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	23355

Name:	20240124_202107.jpg
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	23356

Add some spors, electric washer, a heater blower as the car has never had one fitted ! put all back together and take a drive.

No drips as yet, that in itself is very worrying for an Imp

Name:	20240126_213306.jpg
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	23357

Name:	20240125_210159.jpg
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	23358

Name:	20240125_201713.jpg
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	23359

/ John

You won't have any issues with overheating with the Radtec rad and fan - I use the same on my comp 1040 engine with no problems. (As long as you have the fan pulling air in the correct direction of course).

Comment

Thanks Oli

Not seen any signs of overheating yet at all and thats without the fan and switch

OliDP72

I did not get a definitive answer from Darren but does the thermal switch manage the fan current without a relay ??

John
      / John

Comment

Oli

When fitting the rad I had an issue on the rear cowling as it fouled the rear engine bay closing panel and i had to add spacers to set the radiator position.

The distance hole to hole on the rad is bigger than a standard one but the mounting tabs seem set from front ocl position rather than rear if that makes sense.

Thats the rads installed on both cars now
        / John

Comment

Working...
        X