Save the rear hatch - rear hatch modifications on the cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Col, that would be great

Not sure what I will do with it when I am finished, you want an opening hatch for back of the pest ?

You know me, just doing it because I can
    / John

Comment

I will cut a big enough piece out of what I have so you can experiment John. Pick it up anytime after tomorrow evening if you fancy a wee trip down my way.

The Pest has a one piece window in the rear now and the holes for the hinge all welded up so I couldn't fit one now.

Cheers
      Col.

Comment

Carried out your mod to hinge cover today Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220211_083620735.jpg Size:	529.0 KB ID:	18137 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220211_083626067.jpg Size:	676.6 KB ID:	18138
        Using the grommets to cover holes

Ordered some 3\16" dia brass and going to make new hinge pins but threaded on each end and use domed 5mm chrome nuts (bit different ) That way l can just remove rear window easier , not that l should have to?
        Haven't fitted any rubber to window yet , need to fit glass and then retry on to car, seems to be sitting nicely at moment, glass will give it that extra weight, so fit glass and retry for next plan of attack.
        Having trouble with those fixing clips for stainless trim , awaiting some fresh ones from Bob . Not having much luck with those on car ,could be the hole size in bodywork being too small is giving me grief?
        rear hatch rubber in place, clips not so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220206_150516164.jpg
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	18142

Bob

Comment

Bob

I find the additional clear coat adds a fair bit of thickness to the paint making holes smaller and the centre "plug" which should spay the retaining portion cannot expand to allow the pin to pass through, pin breaks or you end up mashing the panel.

The extra thickness also pushes the clip out further from the metal so the "neck" of the clip does not sit where it should.

You can add anything up to 0.5mm if the panel has been skimmed/blocked or the primer/filler layer was thick then base/clear can add up to as much as 8 layers rather than the two from rootes

Open up the holes with a small needle file and a bit of cavity wax before using clip.

DDG is base/clear and I had same problem, I haad to take a small needle file

Normally I use a 5mm deep 1/4 socket to tap the clip in flush, then a punch to drive the pin home.

I like the mod on the rear hatch hinge ! and the domed nuts will like very cool

Glass adds a lot of waight.

John

/ John

Comment

Working...
          X