Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Panel - Suggested replacement panels for lower back of the rear wing

L/H REAR CORNER REPAIR from Expresed Steel Panels

IMP 10 and 11 are what you are after and this is what they look like (IMP10 shown)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMP10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	4896

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMP10-1.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	4897

This time we are looking at the bottom rear lower corner, a notorious imp "rot spot". After trying to use many different suppliers and made numerous versions myself these panels from Expressed Steel are consistent in form and shape as well as being a great fit.

They also come with a lot of excess material such as the pressed swage line above that area, it is users choice to fit or not the full panel or only what is needed.

The last ones I went to fit I ended up fitting a complete lower rear wing but here is what can be hiding under that area

Name:	RLOWERCORNERIMP10-1.jpg
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	4898

Name:	20180518_124045.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	4899

And with the crap removed, complete disaster, inner section totally toast, bunged up with filler and fiberglass.

There are other panels available such as ones from Radford to name but one, however I have never seen two the same and as well as being a bad fit, they waste time. Do not waste yours.

This opinion makes me very unpopular with the re-sellers of Radford panels but unfortunately they are what they are. Please do NOT confuse the poor shape and quality of the red Radford panels with the excellent service and other products the re-sellers provide. The latter is an excellent and much needed service.

I am not going to go over and post the same images again.

Please see the link below for an installation example and a comparison of panels made by Chris Farren at Fibreclass which were a perfect shape as you would expect from a molded part however these would take substantial work to install, cheap and will never rot again but the mating of steel and composites have their own challanges.

The ones from Radford (I show two examples here) in that thread.

The first Radford set were two long and were exchanged for a second set, the second set were completely out of shape and would not match with the transom panel.

My preference to fit these is to cut as little original material from the car as I can and make the panel to match, the IMP10 and IMP 11 panels have never failed to fit well. Here is one cut to size under the line.

Name:	IMP11-fitted.jpg
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	4900

Again if anyone else wishes to share their experiences please feel free to do so.

Expressed Steel Panels sell a range of panels for the imp and derivatives and is doing a fantastic job of " keeping the imp alive " as they say as replacement panels are fast becoming the biggest investment in your car.

Last edited by John A. Ross; 8 March 2020, 03:51 AM.
    / John
Working...
X