No announcement yet.

Petula - time to start fitting bits and bringing some shine to her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just masked up rear hatch ready to be reassembled with Sikaflex adhesive sealant., using ratchet straps to pull it all together once sealant is put into frame
    can see this being a MESSY job.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220220_110108643.jpg
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	18341 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220220_110128783.jpg
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	18340
    Carried out Johns mod on hinge area , also added my new design hinge pins , just adds that bit more chrome\stainless look that rest of Pet has..

Bob

Comment

Hinge pins look a great touch Bob.

Last time I was looking for the gasket material used originally Graham Anderson recomended to me once the inner tube of a bicycle tyre makes a great gasket around the screen and needs minimal sealant

They did have a gasket fitted.

Might keep you a little more mess free using the gasket as a gap filler rather than loads of sealant

John
      / John

Comment

Trial fit ,now glass is in , really happy with fit , no rubber seal attached to actual window yet and majority of it seems to be sealed, just got to decide what shape of rubber to go with now. Pictured Johns grommet modification and my hinge pin

Name:	IMG_20220220_120133353.jpg
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	18348 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220220_120252883_MP.jpg
Size:	571.2 KB
ID:	18350 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220220_120307414_HDR.jpg
Size:	499.5 KB
ID:	18345 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220220_120449294_MP.jpg
Size:	621.7 KB
ID:	18349 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220220_120413924_MP.jpg
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	18353 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220220_120333910.jpg
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	18352 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220220_120349183.jpg
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	18351 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220220_120558368.jpg
Size:	650.3 KB
ID:	18347

Bob
        Attached Files

Comment

You getting the frame painted before assembly Bob, it is a pig to paint with glass in

Fit looks good
          / John

Comment

Had it painted once but they messed up ,thought it might be better to fit glass then get it painted again , even thought of can spraying it myself.
            Now you've put spanner in the works by saying that.

Bob

Comment

Bob

Sorry mate

Unfortunately that edge where it meets the glass is a pig to mask and you either get some seeping down the glass (that you can see from other side and makes it look unfinished) or you lose a bit of paint on the frame.

I have tried it with standard tape, auto sharp edge mask tape and even ultra thin polyimide tape (Kapton) and always a pain.

Rattle can and clear will be fine Bob, its the clear that protects s get soem from local paint retailer, not halfthings clear coat.

John
              / John

Comment

Talk to painter tomorrow , can appreciate exactly what you're on about.
                Just looked at trim that fits around hatch and could be better than what l have ,so try and source DECENT bits now, just fitted trim clips after opening holes with tapered reamer ,all good now , just a few thou but makes world of difference .
                More l think about it ,more intent on removing glass and get it painted again , they made a balls up last time and hinge top wasn't good so now l've made it so that hinge is dismantled ,they should be able to do a better job (l didn't pay for last one to be honest) case of you scratch my back and l'll machine something for you.
                Bob

Comment

Looking good Bob. I used electrical self amalgamating tape to seal my perspex into my restored frame on the rally car. You can buy it in different thicknesses.

Comment

Decided as weather was good, to load glass into frame , didn't go to plan , not sure if glue had gone off or just that damage to container meant that piston was stuck at base as l was using mastic gun , it just didn't want to work too well , but done ,hopefully good enough.
                    Have to try and get some better (or what l think is better rubber sealing strip)
                    At least l fitted glass right way round

GJ Bob
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220508_151344267_HDR.jpg Size:	4.90 MB ID:	19150 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220508_172635642_HDR.jpg Size:	4.66 MB ID:	19151

Comment

• Make the hay while the sun shines as they say Bob, you are nearly there on the hatch.

It does not look painted though Bob, is it black masking tape ?

/ John

Comment

• Must be optical illusion as it's finish painted gloss black
                        Yellowish \green masking tape on it with frame leaning against trestles

Comment

• Ah, it was the tape throwing me off, you leaving it black ?
                          / John

Comment

• YES already have one body coloured , when l saw Jeff was making them l got an old stock heated screen and went for new frame , black goes with rest of colour scheme if you recall

Name:	IMG_20200918_103851333_HDR.jpg
Size:	3.69 MB
ID:	19163

Comment

• Colour looks amazing in the sun, headlining and windows is a big step
                              / John

Comment

• Well it's such a long time since l posted on here ,now l have got the momentum regarding working on Petula will start putting stuff up again .
                                At the moment l am working on headlining from Lesley Smith , did an initial trial fit last weekend and couldn't get it fitted to my satisfaction so did a remodelling of Lesleys instruction . This was carried out after all needed wiring that was needed for interior lights,heated rear screen was put in place . (IMPORTANT)
                                Problem l encountered was anchoring headling at rear of car , l decided to try something different.

Originally the material covered hardboard over hatch was held in place by five push in plastic rivets , l drilled out the holes in bodywork and fitted rivnuts (6mm) l glued new material to new plywood and using 6mm x 25mm domed headed screws with repair washers fitted panel in place

Name:	IMG_20240229_144040090.jpg
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	23532 The idea being that after getting Frances to stitch a seam onto rear of headling and insert stiffish wire into the seam , then attach para cord to the wire ,the headling car be pulled down behind the panel and then the panel clamps against the wire therefore clamping the rear of headlining in place.

Name:	IMG_20240229_142136583.jpg
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	23535 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240229_142209510.jpg
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	23533 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240229_142712492.jpg
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	23534 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240301_095042566.jpg
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	23536 I didn't have the small feet that fit into the headining rails and was concerned about the possibility of rails pivoting upside down at anytime so made something that l thought might do the job , two suitably sized nails ,heated and bent at 90 degrees , these were inserted into the ends of rails , the rails have to be inserted into car at an angle so my idea was to use the feet on one side , so fitted to just one side (the first side entered into car , they can be twisted into place once rail is in place and should stop what l was worried about.

Name:	IMG_20240302_105505090.jpg
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	23537 So far l am happy with installation , glueing to be done yet .
                                Watch this space

Comment

Working...
                                X