Reverse switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse switch

Hi does anyone have information on where to fit a limit switch to activate reverse lights by use of the gear stick

Sorry Gary thats very late cars and I don't have that in the manual or sheets I scanned.

Dave had a picture he sent to me of the factory micro switch Dave Lane and that hides on the gear lever. can be retrofitted to the gear lever.

I have not put it on yet but the switch I intend to fit on DDG is different and uses a clamp on "flag" which attaches like a U clamp onto the gear selector shaft that I can rotate/bend the flag end on and the micro switch is attached to the inner tunnel on a couple of rivnuts. The clamp flag lets me get more movement on the rotation so when in reverse the distance the flag moves when the gate is engaged is a lot. It will be protected by the under tray when fitted.

If memory serves the amount of travel on the factory option in the gear shift is very little so is a son of a whatsit to setup properly and thast backed up by the two cars I know of up here where the reverse lights come on on their own and i can read morse code but cant speak imps dialect.

For the moment I cannot get DDG high enough to fit the reverse switch properly as the axle stands I have dont have a great footprint on the ground so i dont want to put them too high.

- John

/ John

Comment

Thanks John Dave may post later thought I would ask as couldn't find anything in the manual , I'd like to fit something that works automatically rather than a dashboard switch as you say it's just no good if not reliable ?

Comment

The factory one works well Gary but any play in the gear level assembly or bad alignment of the switch and its iffy.

Reason being the movement/shift is minimal making the adjustment critical. My plan was to extent out from the actual shaft so that there is more distance moved per degree rottaion, front/back there is a lot of movement so will be positive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	02848_n.jpg
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	6958

my best dodgy doodle no rocket science but throwing the flag out a bit from the centre gives it a more positive path of travel.

Just had a though that switch could even be mounted on a flat bracket like the rear gear change shaft support and just drop off like the under tray.

The limited adjustment was only issue i seen to overcome to make it reliable

/ John

Comment

Gary, images of factory placement

Some from Dave lane Dave Lane and some from Peter Nunney Peter Nunney

looks like easy mod to replicate the factory way, if you need those switches I have some here Gary.

Name:	95654798_o.jpg
Size:	534.0 KB
ID:	6984Click image for larger version

Name:	3876642613_o.jpg
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	6985

Name:	50153229_o.jpg
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	6986Click image for larger version

Name:	6467_o.jpg
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	6987

Name:	2618365_o.jpg
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	6988Click image for larger version

Name:	5521692_o.jpg
Size:	576.0 KB
ID:	6989

Peter also added this

Click image for larger version  Name:	25477105121_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	365.7 KB ID:	6983

Similar to what I had planned looks like uses a U clamp, switch would need roller end though

I did consider this but makes things just way more complicated !

Click image for larger version  Name:	43475545588_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	6982

Last edited by John A. Ross; 1 May 2020, 01:54 PM.
          / John

Comment

Working...
          X