No announcement yet.

Period Decamber Mods shim up stub axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should be drivers side, usually they lean back pointing teh steering rack attachment up in air Full picture here

https://www.hillmanimp.org/filedata/fetch?id=2124

/ John

Comment

I've looked at so many pictures of stub axles now ,and l'm still no nearer deciding if l'm right, problem with being mirror image to each other , all too easy to rebuild wrong way round , need to have better pic's of correct assembly , but hard to find anything , have looked in book at what you put up but still failing to see it.

Bob

Comment

Woken up now , maybe l should look at what's on the car as they haven't been refurbished

Comment

bob, you want some pics from car in garage ?
          / John

Comment

Maybe , l'll look at Pet tomorrow and get back to you if necessary. THANKS
            Bob

Comment

Bob

Took some pics anyway

Offside First

Click image for larger version

Name:	OS-20200223_234136.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	4545

Name:	OS-20200223_234141.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	4546

Name:	OS-20200223_234044.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	4551

Then Nearside First

Name:	NS-20200223_234154.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	4547

Name:	NS-20200223_234105.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	4548

Name:	NS-20200223_234102.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	4549

Name:	NS-20200223_234158.jpg
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	4550
              / John

Comment

Two points . no grease nipples or speedo cable , is this still being restored then?
                Yes l've done it correctly , really it's so easy to mix up if stripping both , but basically angle of tilt is in same plain as steering column is best way l could describe it..
                Thinking now mod the carriers 3\16" as stated in book ,get it out of the way , must make it look better if nothing else , always looks weird at the moment.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Petowner View Post
                  Two points . no grease nipples or speedo cable , is this still being restored then?
                  Bob, yes, not finished yet, only found a NOS speedo cable a month ago. Thats why no dirt yet you would not see that on Boris !

These are also MK 1 stubs, they never had grease nipples and someone drilled those holes and the grease nipples dont thread in correctly, left that as a sproblem for another day

Likely I will just bung them up. I spend ages polishing the carriers to accept the bushes so they were a snug fit wnd no scratches/snagging. Then shimmed it in vertical axis till it was slightkly stiff but smooth on the thrust wasers.

I wont admit to how much time i spend with the stainless washers on the oils tone but I am a fussy sod.

Yes l've done it correctly , really it's so easy to mix up if stripping both , but basically angle of tilt is in same plain as steering column is best way l could describe it..
                  Thinking now mod the carriers 3\16" as stated in book ,get it out of the way , must make it look better if nothing else , always looks weird at the moment.
                  That would be way to go

- John

/ John

Comment

Well l wasn't 100% sure my rebuild of stub axles was correct , no amount of pictures or even looking at set up on car convinced me l'd done it correctly .
                    Trouble is ,when l take parts apart at work that are, or are nearly identical l always mark parts up with stamp or just centre dot parts so that l don't muddle up the parts from multiple strip downs, Why didn't l do that for my parts? on taking wishbones and stub axle assemblies to work this morning l noticed (ashamed to say it)
                    that l had assembled off side carrier to near side stub axle and visa versa. Removed top welch washer and stripped them both and corrected my mistake.
                    Now happier all is correct.
                    Did the de camber mods while l was at it

Name:	IMG_20200228_070652445.jpg
Size:	455.9 KB
ID:	4700Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200228_080919377.jpg
Size:	481.1 KB
ID:	4701Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200228_080913638.jpg
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	4702Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200228_070746864.jpg
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	4703Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200228_063639258.jpg
Size:	517.4 KB
ID:	4704Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200228_063505332.jpg
Size:	566.1 KB
ID:	4705

Comment

Easy mistake to make.

I marked all the suspension parts when I stripped Merc. down. with a centre punch.
                      A simple dot in the casting areas then a note on a wall that says the ones with the extra dot are Left (nearside UK), I always start at Left for some reason.
                      Patrick McGrorty

100% MK 1 just as rootes intended it, no mods, no problem

Comment

Reading a book starts on left so easy start point for us , not so good for Chinese evidently!.
                        Glad to see the "easy mistake to make " comment

Comment

Originally posted by Petowner View Post
                          Reading a book starts on left so easy start point for us , not so good for Chinese evidently!.
                          Glad to see the "easy mistake to make " comment
                          It's a bit weird for me, left handed (writing) , used to get wacked on hand at primary school to use my right.
                          Play guitar right handed, pool right handed (can also play left) but I get annoyed at folks saying near side/drivers side when talking about cars.
                          I much prefer the old sitting in the drivers seat facing forward so left and right.

Patrick McGrorty

100% MK 1 just as rootes intended it, no mods, no problem

Comment

Would be nice to try it on a car settled/fixed using the gap gauges in the manual to space the springs and see how many mm/degree the washers do.

I am sure there are some details somewhere.

Ideally as the suspension is lowered the angle would need changed as well.

John
                            / John

Comment

The thread on this one has been static for a while so I decided today as i found a gauge in the back of the toolbox to check what the camber actually was on DDG with just the de-camber mod and standard size springs / suspension

Was quite surprised I thought it would be a lot worse as it still sits high.

the mod certainly seems to have done its job BUT I fear now when I drop the nose to stop the car looking like a speedboat in water that it will end up looking like a young fellas front end (the busted suspension look only JOKING young peeps !)

Name:	20200620_165740.jpg
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	9098

/ John

Comment

When i do king pin builds i sit them on the bench pick which side i am doing and think of a motorbike or push bike front forks. wheel in a straight line the bottom of king pin is further forward than the top, or leans back etc when you are sat in the car. Does that make sense it is the rake angle that makes a bike go in a straight line and altering the angle makes the bike more steady but slow to turn or turn in quick and give you scary speed wobbles. Stand at the bench put the 4 major component pieces in front of you easy bit first stub axle with hole for speedo cable move to your left other to your right. The put the last two pieces on the bench in the orientation they go on the car and make sure the tops lean towards you.

I always recommend 1/4 to 1/2 deg neg as a base setting. If you have adjustable spring platforms set the car at the ride height you want then check the spring platform is approx halfway on the thread. Set tracking to 3mm in. check camber with the normal laden weight of the car say 1 person full tank of fuel or half a tank and two people. If you do not have enough camber lower the spring platforms until you do and look at the ride height again you may not notice too much difference to where you had it. Always settle suspension after each adjustment and re-set tracking for each camber adjustment and keep good notes of what you have done in case you want to go back to a certain point. Drive the car and see what the different heights and cambers do for you, not forgetting to try different tyre pressures for different camber angles to see if more or less pressure compliments your angles. It will vary from tyre to tyre and from personal driving style so do not be mislaid or stick ridgedly to what an "expert" tells you. For example a race car on 2255 lb short springs with 1.5 deg neg on semi slicks will be different to your car on 145/70/12 and Monte's, as will someone else car on monte's with 165/65/13 tyres super budget brand and it will be different again for someone else on the same tyres as mentioned before but Michelin quality.

Comment

Working...
                                X