Period Decamber Mods shim up stub axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Decamber Mods shim up stub axle

Period Decamber Mods - Material removed from bottom face of stub axle and washer added to the top

Click image for larger version  Name:	PIC-09608.jpg Views:	0 Size:	246.8 KB ID:	4338

About 1/8th removed off bottom where the vertical drop bolt for the stub axle assembly is fitted through I think was instruction

The stub axle can then pivot on the horizontal bolt

Then to make up the gaps inside the wishbone a machined washer was used as a gap filler to prevent the wishbone being crushed when rumped up.

The lip is only there to stop it slipping off when attached to the bone

Click image for larger version  Name:	PIC-09607.jpg Views:	0 Size:	380.0 KB ID:	4337

In summary

Click image for larger version  Name:	stub axle shim.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.9 KB ID:	4339

Last edited by John A. Ross; 19 February 2020, 10:39 AM.
    / John

You've got me wondering now !!!!!!
    Should l do this mod now or see what cars like when running? as stub axles haven't been fitted yet.
    How good are results , was the 1\8" come about by trial and error ? how reliable is that figure?

Bob

Comment

That was done by hartwell so I assume it was well tried and tested, however .... it was a quickie mod as the high pivit suspension had reall y really bad camber, if you do the mod then lower the suspension then the geometry goes to pot again

I have seen folks thread these but there must always be gap inside the cavity which is not how it was designed to clamp in and concerns me.

So yes it is a standard mod Bob, thes days i would sit the suspension on lowered springs first then find a distance for neutral camber so its only pushed a little neg when diving in a corner.

Sit the car on stands under the wishbones and on its suspension with say weight of full tank of fuel, put stub axles in and find a hight that suits first.

Then see if the camber needs adjusted and test remove material to suit keeping measure, then make padding washer to suit car.

Those washers used to sell as kits.

Perhaps Dave Lane might have original mod somewhere

I have the receipt for this mod in my cars paperwork collection

John
      / John

Comment

ive nothing on file but have done the Singers

Comment

I had read about it on forum years ago , it's a mod well within my capabilities ,probably best to get the car up and running first . I thought that the spacer washers were tapered (from memory) not so easy
          Thanks
          Bob

Comment

Bob, no they are flat with a lip, like a hat, just enough so it does not slip when it is sent into the isnide of the bone, you could do the opposite and machin a little recess

- John
            / John

Comment

I have asked peter if he has such a thing
              / John

Comment

You may say that's being finicky . But if it all pivots on horizontal through bolts, then you do change what at the moment is a square face to the wishbone clamping , effectively you would need to shape bottom of carrier with an angle and insert spacer\washer above with same taper, l know we are only talking small amounts , but if it's worth doing

Bob

Comment

Good point Bob. If there was a taper I did not notice.

One from some literature showing the original Rootes part nymber from the washer and the other Peters own work keeping note of dimensions

Two images courtesy of Peter nunney, cheers Peter

Any likes being pressed should head in peters direction for these two

Click image for larger version  Name:	4880_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	343.3 KB ID:	4369Click image for larger version  Name:	799360_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.2 KB ID:	4370
                  / John

Comment

Any likes being pressed should head in peters direction for these two.

Is Peter on here ?
                    if so , name please.

Thanks for update on information

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Petowner View Post
                      Any likes being pressed should head in peters direction for these two.

Is Peter on here ?
                      if so , name please.
                      Don't think so.
                      Patrick McGrorty

100% MK 1 just as rootes intended it, no mods, no problem

Comment

Bob

Peter Nunney aka "the nun"
                        / John

Comment

yes l know who you mean , can't press likes for Peter if he's not on here , being finicky again (lots on here who l haven't got a clue about , know the regulars from t'other site)

Comment

Bob

I am sure some folks are still not sure what to make of what has been created here, nor its potential.

At least there is enough to read between The imp Club Forum , Hillman imp Org and The Hillman imp Group on Facebook all together

As the site here is free to read, no login needed folks only need to register to post or hit the like button. No mad rush was expected.

Saying that the page impressions and unique visitor statistics are some of the best i have ever seen. The potential I see already (and the pages placement in the universe) makes me a little nervous as it might either teeter on the cusp or take off.

One can build it but cannot force the horses to drink, they ahe to want to participate and to do that there has to be some fun or gain in it for them.

I will continue to experiment with the formula, will see if we can get a big bang.

The post here and share to facebook makes a big difference when its done with an image.

For the winter months this has been as much fun for me as working on the cars

/ John

Comment

Stub axle carrier drawing in 1st post , is that near side or off side , just wondering if l might have made the easy mistake of putting them together wrong way round as they are left and right handed, looking at side of car is the 10 degrees backwards or forwards (is wheel nearer front of car or canted backwards) .
                              Silly mistake l know but need to clarify as l stripped both sets down together .

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X