No announcement yet.

Transaxale tools and rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had time today to do a little experiment I wanted to see what interference fit the bearings are
    please note that this is just my experience of breaking down and rebuild of the transaxale , I in no way saying this is how you should do it yourself or implying that I am an expert, I am not, but skills are getting lost and the manual sometimes not the easiest to follow
    If I can show some photos as I go then it will probably help someone else.

Back to the experiment the manual say you should heat the box to 100 degree before removing the bearings so is it really necessary ?
    I measured a new bearing outside diameter and set my bore clock to zero
    First photo shows it at room temperature 20 degrees

The bore clock is in mm .01 division so just under .05 mm .002"
    On 54 mm which is the bearing size I think you would damage it cold

Now at 100degs size is over .04mm .0016"

So my conclusion is they should go in easily at 100 drgs but you will have to be quick the heat transfer will soon make them grow
    Best regards Gary Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201109_150148977.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	11058Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201109_150314731.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	11059
    ​​​​

Comment

Thanks for sharing these snippets Gary. I always wondered how much of the "get up to X temperature" was just playing safe or not.

Heating / cooling cast parts always worries me a bit. Some folks reckon you can get things like valve guides in and out in one heat session but I reckon you would need to do it for a living for that.

- John

/ John

Comment

You would have to do 2 heat up sessions as there's always oil left in there plus you need to calculate the shims required and that's done with the bearing out
        best regards Gary

Comment

Good Progress there Gary. Will post some pictures later of the boxes i am doing at the moment. At a later date i will put up some pics of the running in rig i am building.

Comment

The running in rig would be really nice Mike as basically everyone else just expects the box to be fitted to the car and try it.

I have already used the usual suspects for rebuilds rather than do it myself, relying on the experience more than the science but this has not had as good a track record on success as one would expect.

/ John

Comment

Hi still waiting for the other tools to come , I should have just bought my own lathe.
              measured for the pinion bearing head shims today
              The tool required is RG 365
              Brought the cleaned castings inside today let them come up to room temp for a couple of hours first

First photo is RG 365 dummy pinion head

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201116_132653341_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.94 MB ID:	11146
              Next is how you take a feeler gauge reading but is only to better show how it's done as you need to bolt on the clutch housing casting and tighten the 4 bolts

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201116_132718272.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.89 MB ID:	11147
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201116_133004626.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.25 MB ID:	11148

next to where the bearings fit

I also turned the box on its side so I could rotate the dummy pinion to get a better feel ,
              It came out at .009"

I'll show the calculation later on when I check the pinion head shaft length ,they can vary slightly
              Best regards Gary
              Last edited by John A. Ross; 16 November 2020, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Taking reading all clamped down Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201116_140434423_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	11153

Comment

Nice work Gary, the picture a lot clearer than the manual.

John
                  / John

Comment

Working...
                  X